From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: Blocking Music Sharing.

Howdy Cael,

> I heartily disagree -- if an offense is considered serious enough to
> warrant being prohibited in an org's Acceptable Use Policy then there
> should be real punishment involved.  If an offense isn't a big deal,
> then the AUP should be rewritten.

in a world whence all things was equal, I would agree, but, this is not
that place.  Many folks do not get to see an AUP with that sense of power
implimented, and they do need a way to try and frce compliance too.  It's
a shame things are this way, but, that is the way of a 'free world'
<smile>.

> A Wall of Shame just sets a bad precedent -- a user could argue that the
> rules were ambiguous.  "What?  You can't fire me for running that root
> exploit!  None of the other rules were ever seriously enforced, our
> policy is a joke!"
>
> Besides, posting a weekly notice of offenders is essentially the net
> admins admitting, "Okay, we know who is doing what and we don't like it
> but we just don't have the power to stop it."  What sort of admins
> really want to put out that message?  :)

Understood, and agreed, yet, some admins are in such positions.  shame
that it is, they have to use what they can to try and get users to maitain
some level of compliance.  Granted, this approach works perhaps better in
a situation where embarrassment is gained from having a name on 'the
list', such as workplace porn-mongers/perviewers, but can have some level
of success in other situations.  One uses the tools that they have that
best fit thier situations.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.