From: security at dylanic.de (Michael Renzmann)
Subject: Verisign abusing .COM/.NET monopoly, BIND releases
 new

Hi.

Rainer Gerhards wrote:
> I think they have underestimated the number
> of typos and as such under-powered the machine. A good indication is the
> single IP (even though that eventually is a reverse proxy).

I agree.

As a side note: could it be possible to DoS name servers by querying
tons of non-existant .net domains? As example, if several users of a DSL
provider try to query random and thus most probably non-existing .net
domains that now all deliver the afore mentioned IP as result, could it
be possible to bring the DNS servers down? I guess not, because those
servers should be able to throw away old queries in case a configured
memory limit is reached. On the other hand this could cause additional
traffic and slower responses for other customers as valid DNS entries
have to be re-queried from the DNS-uplinks. Am I right with this?

Bye, Mike