From: jlevitsk at joshie.com (Joshua Levitsky)
Subject: Verisign abusing .COM/.NET monopoly, BIND releases new

On Sep 17, 2003, at 5:37 AM, jamie rishaw wrote:

> Please proviede code / config (explain).
>
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 12:42:19AM -0400, Joshua Levitsky wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 16, 2003, at 11:16 PM, Thor Larholm wrote:
>>
>>> Mail administrators
>>> who use any non-existant DNSBL to mark email as spam suddenly has all
>>> their mails deleted,
>>
>> Actually I figured out how to use it to my advantage. I query "."
>> which
>> is my own DNS server of course as a ip4r blacklist and if the IP for
>> verisign's site is returned then I give the spam a very high score.
>> Any
>> domain that doesn't exist would fail this, but any other domain would
>> not return that IP, but rather the proper IP.  I'm still pissed at
>> Verisign, but I always try to turn a problem in to an opportunity so
>> now I'm using their greed to block spam.

I use Declude which is a plugin to IPSwitch's IMail product.

VERISCAM    rhsbl    .    64.94.110.11    1    0

Above is the config line I am using. Basically "VERISCAM" is the name
of my test. It's a "rhsbl" test which is a Right Hand Side test. Your
Spam filter software needs to be able to RHS style lookups where it's
looking at what is to the right of the @ sign. So jlevitsk@...hie.com
could come from an AOL mail server, but my RHS test looks at joshie.com
rather than the AOL server that handed the mail to your server. The
next field is "." which is normally where I put like
"orbs.dorkslayers.com" or such... the zone that I'm going to query. By
putting a "." in then it is checking my local zone and so the query
hits my own DNS. That's just where the query goes. "64.94.110.11" is
the result I'm looking for from the server. Various ip4r tests result
in like 127.0.0.2 or 127.0.0.3 and different values normally mean
different kinds of listings like open relay vs. porn spam ... you get
the idea. In this case a 64.94.110.11 would return from my own DNS
server for any @bla.com that did not resolve.

This test catches anyone using phoney domains that don't exist.

-Josh