From: cru at ircnet.de (Veit Wahlich)
Subject: How to block flash advertisement [scanned]

Hi Frank!

Am Mit, 2003-09-17 um 23.45 schrieb cyberpunk@...or.de:
> Browser (e.g. Mozilla) can stop advertisement by "block graphics" from this
> server. But what do you do against those anoying flash ads?

Regarding to your location I suppose you got annoyed at last by those
ads on heise.de that appear for a few hours now...

The Linux/Unix version of Mozilla's Gecko - and possibly Windows version
too? - allows you to add and remove such plugins on the fly. This really
means you have i.e. to move the libflashplayer.so from your plugin
directory to another one and back to re-enable it. I do not know any
another methods to enable/disable plugins. This works with other Gecko
based browsers (i.e. Galeon), too.

This job can easily be done by a little shell script that determines
wether the plugin exists in the plugin directory or not and moving the
.so in to or out of the plugin dir accordingly. I suggest to execute
this by a keyboard shortcut or a shortcut icon.

To use this script as unprivileged user and to not influence the system
wide installation you may want to install the plugin to
~/.mozilla/plugins instead of the global mozilla plugin directory.

Regards,
// Veit
--
  _. ._ . .        Veit Wahlich