From: lists at onryou.com (Cael Abal)
Subject: Lun_mountd.c vs mounty.c

> It astounds me that so many people on this list (well, two) use the full
> disclosure ethic as an excuse to oblige programmers to give up our privacy
> rights and divulge all their code to a group of strangers.
>
> Can you *seriously* not see the problem with someone taking credit for
> someone else's work?  That is just exquisite bullshit, regardless of the
> nature of the code itself, or with whom it was initially shared.
>
> Tobias was right on the money to take issue with this, and some of you
> need to back off and let talented hackers claim a little due credit and
> take pride in their work once in a while.

Hi Person/Devon/[t],

Personal pride and quality of work is important, I'll give you that.
Also, I am intimately aware of how unpleasant it can be to have someone
else take credit for ones work.  Now, do I feel a whole lot of pity when
I see a script kiddie take credit for someone else's exploit?

Nope.

Consider this analogy:  A graffiti artist spends long hours labouring
over a wall mural, only to come back the next day and see some seven
year-old surrounded by his friends, proudly taking credit for it.

Know what?  The world at large doesn't give a shit.  I don't give a
shit.  The end result is still the same either way, one more eyesore in
a jungle of eyesores.  Realistically, it was only a matter of time
before that wall was tagged.  The only folks who care about graffiti art
is graffiti artists -- like any community.

Mr. Brown was exactly right, if a tad terse:  If an exploit writer wants
privacy, they should not release the code (or release it anonymously).
If an exploit writer wants fame and fortune, they should release it
publicly under their real name with much fanfare -- Either of these
choices quite efficiently prevent some kiddie from taking credit for
their work.  There's really no in-between to speak of, not one with much
value to society.

The other alternative -- a limited release amongst friends or colleagues
-- is really nothing more than self aggrandizement.  Understandable,
maybe, but not very valuable...  All it does is add one more tool to the
script kiddie cookbook -- and set up the original author for plagiarism.

Cordially,

Cael