From: d.rowles at outcometechnologies.com (Dan Rowles)
Subject: VeriSign's fake SMTP server for SiteFinder

I believe they're trying to save bandwidth and minimise (further)
annoyance.

If a mail server can't connect to a server to deliver mail, it will keep
on retrying until some timeout (which is likely to be a few days). The
effect of this would be that you wouldn't get DSN failure notifications
until the timeout period - which would tend to annoy users who had just
misspelt an e-mail address. Additionally, you'd waste bandwidth each
time the server tried to send mail (I *believe* that the retry time
doubles after each failure, so you'd get something like 1 hour, 2 hours,
4 hours, etc for each retry). Mail servers could get choked trying to
resend all these messages, etc...

By responding to port 25 queries and refusing to accept a message, they
will generate a DSN failure message straight away. This will be less
annoying for users, and co-incidentally use less of their bandwidth :)

But why they wait until the DATA command is a total mystery to me. It
seems much more logical to bounce the message after the RCPT TO:
command.

Hope this helps,

Dan