From: thor at pivx.com (Thor Larholm)
Subject: FW: [Fwd: Re: AIM Password theft]

Mark,

You are correct, I should not have replied to Mark when I had not yet had my morning coffee. The dynamic rendering of OBJECT elements still trigger the HTA functionality exposed in Windows. Personally, though, I see this as an unrelated vulnerability regarding static/dynamic code rendering which has a greater impact than just allowing HTA code to execute.

Both GM#001 and thePulls POC, which malware cites, are one and the same issue instead of two separate, they both trigger the dynamic rendering of HTML instead of the static - GM#001 just does this without requiring scripting.

Regards
Thor Larholm
PivX Solutions, LLC - Senior Security Researcher
http://www.pivx.com/larholm/unpatched - Unpatched IE vulnerabilities