From: pauls at utdallas.edu (Schmehl, Paul L)
Subject: RE: Probable new MS DCOM RPC worm for Windows

I'm thinking that there *has* to be a variant of Nachi/Welchia in the
wild.  We have machines that were patched for MS03-026 (verified by
scanning with multiple scanners) but not patched for MS03-039 (ditto)
and they have been infected by something that triggers my Nachi rule in
snort.  This should *not* be possible with the "original" Nachi/Welchia,
so my assumption is that either something new has been released or the
worm has mutated somehow.

Mind you, this is anecdotal and a very small incidence (only three
machines so far), but it still bears watching IMHO.  I've been surprised
to not see any discussion on the lists about a new variant.  Perhaps no
one is looking?

Paul Schmehl (pauls@...allas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas