From: ggilliss at netpublishing.com (Gregory A. Gilliss)
Subject: CyberInsecurity: The cost of Monopoly

I suspect we are starting a game of telephone ...

It appears to me (and I'm going to be nice and *not* include the
entire thread in the message ;-) that this started out with the
citation of the CCIA paper regarding Dan Geer getting shown the door.
The response (which was posted by Jon on behalf of Fabio) ends with
the statement "These guys have done a GREAT WORK!" which appears to
refer to the paper (Geer et al). Unfortunately that post was preceded
by some rant and ramble that did not clearly support the final thought
(namely "huzzah for Geer et al").

Taken individually, Fabio's points include:

- Removing Microsoft's monopoly somehow also will remove AV companies
- Microsoft doesn't give a rat's a** about security
- Vulnerabilities can only be fixed before they become a business
- Open source software has not been targeted by viruses
- Open source rulez
- Geer et al wrote a great report

FWIW, my replies to the assertions (as I have enumerated them above):

- false assertion
- true assertion
- ?
- true (exploits, OTOH...)
- agree
- strongly agree

With apologies to Fabio, I suspect that this may be an example of a
non-native English speaker's post being misinterpreted. I truly doubt
that the intent was to incite a discussion of Microsoft and/or virus
writing. That was actually (and if Fabio reads this and disagrees I hope
that he will correct me) just fodder for the final show of support for
the report by Geer et al.

For the record, I am withholding comment on Geer's separation and @Stake's
position until and unless more facts come to light. I suspect several of
the @Stake guys can read this and that they are free to participate in the
discussion (...or maybe not). I stand by my prior post - the report
stands on its own merits.

--
Gregory A. Gilliss, CISSP                             Telephone: 1 650 872 2420
Computer Engineering                                   E-mail: greg@...liss.com