From: listmail at joeware.net (Joe)
Subject: CyberInsecurity: The cost of Monopoly

Hmmm, I have thought about it.

Yes I take pride in my work.

Not an MC* anything. Don't believe I need a piece of paper to say I am
capable of anything. I either do it or I don't do it. It's up to me. In
general I feel that if your opinion of me if based on me holding a piece of
paper or not is your issue to work out, not mine.

If I had been heavily involved with the open source stuff, I would work my
ass off to lock it down so anyone can read it but not as many people can get
changes into it and compiled and out where it can cause damage. I would also
try to shut down the huge numbers of different people/companies all doing
similar things but in non-compatible ways. For geeky tech people, this kind
of environment is fine. For the world as a whole and big businesses (100k+
employees) in particular it is too chaotic and uncontrolled. It is why many
large large businesses are afraid of using open source products. Also the
licensing scares many as well. If you have a business that doesn't mind
becoming a software design and writing house, it is great, but if you have a
company that manufactures a motorcyle or bricks or sells hotdogs, MS makes
more sense at this point.

Exchange servers do suck, MS needs to scrap that and start over, no argument
from me whatsoever.

My SP woes occur in the lab, not in production so very few if any late hours
spent on that. I can't ever recall rolling back a SP or hotfix in
production.

I don't agree another way would be any more rewarding. I generally enjoy
myself and am extremely well compensated.

A long time ago I started out on Commodore Pet's, moved through Sperry
Univac and IBM Mainframes, moved through DEC PDPs and VAXes, moved through
Sun Sparcs, ended up in Windows and think it is some of the more realistic
systems I have seen for the world of users as a whole versus a world of IT
people. A trifle insecure (heh) at times, but making decent strides while
trying hard to support legacy systems so businesses don't get the wind
knocked out of them on upgrades.

If given a second chance I would make some different decisions in life but
none affecting what I was working on technically.

If something came out tomorrow that I truly felt blew MS out of the water
across the board and was the thing that would win out across the world, I
would jump. I haven't seen it yet and don't expect to see it any time really
soon. MS occasionally gets zapped in areas and gets hurt, but they are
extremely nimble and able to recover. Will they be that way after Bill is
gone? That I wouldn't count on as he is both very intelligent and very vocal
(damn the PC people) and will spin the company on a dime and has done so. I
think while he is there and has power and gives a shit, MS will be on top.
Maybe someone else will really kick in in say 40 years or so... As for me, I
will hoepfully be retired and out of the biz in 5-6 years. I intend to spend
my 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's+ on a beach somewhere with some little intelligent
hottie whose worst worry is what color to dye her hair this week. This stuff
isn't religion, it's a job to pay for some of the fun things in life.

Finally, anyone who thinks that MS is the reason for all the viruses and
worms and exploits running around is deluding themselves. Every multiuser
system especially any that share information in some way shape or form is
insecure in some way. I would say some of the safest machines on the
internet today are PDP 11's running RSTS/E. Not because there aren't holes
but because no one is trying to figure out their holes. If MS were gone
tomorrow, the focus would simply turn to whomever had the most popular OS.

  joe

--
www.joeware.net