From: capegeo at opengroup.org (George Capehart)
Subject: Soft-Chewy insides (was: CyberInsecurity: The cost of Monopoly)

On Sunday 28 September 2003 03:39 pm, Curt Purdy wrote:
> When we get this far off-topic, how about putting up a new subject
> line with a was:

<Lurker crawls out from under rock>

I've followed this thread and, especially the recent exchange among
Michael Zalewski, Frank Knobbe and Florian Weimer.  My initial response
was to respond to specifics, like, for instance, the first paragraph
below.  Was going to raise my hand and say:  But what about the DFS?
As the thread grew, I realized that it is really about my pet peeve:
The absence of a *real* information security *program* that addresses
defense-in-depth, security architectures, etc.
_at_the_enterprise_level_.  I have been in only *one* organization that
actually had an enterprise security architecture and which built
systems around it.  But that was only one of many with which I am
familiar.

Paul Schmel's lament was that "we as a 'security community' have [not]
even begun to tackle this problem."  I would submit that, as a
community, we *have*. All one has to do is to look at the ISO/IEC
standards, the ANSI standards, the NIST Special Publications, the
Common Criteria, DITSCAP, COBIT, etc., etc., etc. the WS* standards
coming out of the W3C and OASIS, the IATFF, etc. to see that we
understand the problem and have documented almost ad nauseum how to
deal with it.  The military and intelligence community have been
practicing "good security" for years.  Even the government is beginning
to catch on.  IMHO, the problem is *not* with the security community,
but with the "governance community."

<rant>
The problem is that there is no accountability at the top for allowing
systems to be run in an insecure manner.  It seems that neither Boards
of Directors nor C-level corporate officers understand that, these
days, a significant chunk of the risk that they need to manage arises
out of their use of IT systems.  Either that, or there is no impetus to
*really* manage risk at any level.  This is not rocket science.  It is
risk management.  Risk is not being managed top-down in any structured
manner.  It is being managed bottom up by a few individuals who care.
Boards of directors do not ask the tough questions.  For many,
Information Security is not on the list of things to care about at all.
C-level officers don't care about it.  If they did, organizations would
have robust Information Security programs, there would be clear lines
of accountability and responsibility for the management of risk
incurred by the operation of IT systems and the "'soft and chewy'
problem" would be addressed.
</rant>

My $0.02.

George Capehart

<snip>

--
George Capehart

capegeo at opengroup dot org

PGP Key ID: 0x63F0F642		http://pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint:  BE7A 9A4A 6A8F 363A BAC5  4866 631B B2F6 63F0 F642

"It is always possible to agglutenate multiple separate problems into a
 single complex interdependent solution.  In most cases this is a bad
 idea.  -- RFC 1925