From: Frank_Bridges at ncsu.edu (Frank Bridges)
Subject: [inbox] Re: CyberInsecurity: The cost of Mo
 nopoly

>>Do you really think you could convince the average person that they need to
>>know this much about fuel injectors? I mean, most people see their cars (and
>>the network, servers, phones, faxes, etc...) as a tool to do business with.
>>Nothing else. The cars are there to do a job, or help get a job done,
>>and nothing else. It is not so much that they don't know, it is that they
>>don't need to know.
>>

>I'll point out that the average car no longer comes with a crank to start it,
>or a manual choke button that you have to remember to push back in.  The
>average car no longer needs major maintenance every few hundred miles.
>
>So why are we tolerating computers that have cranks and choke buttons and
>need major maintenance every few hundred hours?

Yes, but the average car is regulated for safety and environmental
issues both during the manufacture and operational stages.  Were it not
for this regulation they would most likely still have cranks and a
manual choke.... and no seat belts or air bags.  The average person has
very little choice as to whether they keep them in this condition if
they want to keep them on "the highway".

-fb