From: cherot at appliedmessaging.com (Christopher F. Herot)
Subject: RE: 40,000 deaths per year - Was: CyberInsecurity: The cost of Mo nopoly

I was only comparing the most serious cases.  If you want a measure of
the economic cost of car accidents, look at your car insurance bill,
multiply that by the number of drivers and compare that total to your
estimate of the economic damage caused by computer security flaws.

If 40,000 people were dying from terrorist attacks, airplane crashes, or
a war, there would be a public outcry.  Presumeably the economic
benefits of automobiles are felt to outweigh the costs.  Probably the
same thing with computer security until the costs get much worse.

And