From: keith.stevenson at louisville.edu (Keith Stevenson)
Subject: FW: IBM AIX GetIPNodeByName API Socket Management Vulnerability

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 12:56:18PM -0700, Sherri Emerson wrote:
>  Hey yall! Although I've followed it for years, this
> is my frist time posting to the list, so bear please
> with me if I start to ramble or don't follow protocol.
>
>  My friend sent this to me and I don't know where she
> got it, but I run AIX 5.2 and would love to know more
> about this. Has anyone heard anything? It says IBM
> disclosed the info, but I can't find usable stuff
> anywhere.

Not only is it official, there is an APAR available from IBM to address the
issue:

AIX 4.3.3 - Not vulnerable
AIX 5.1   - APAR IY46273
AIX 5.2   - APAR IY46024

APARs are available from: https://techsupport.services.ibm.com/server/aix.fdc

IBM's analysis states that the impact is limited to denial of service
attacks against applications that use the getipnodebyname() call.

Regards,
--Keith Stevenson--

--
Keith Stevenson
System Programmer - Data Center Services - University of Louisville