From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu (Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu)
Subject: Fw: Removal of wildcard A records from .com and .net zones

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:30:10 CDT, Travis Good <tgood@...dsecurity.net>  said:

> Good to see they want to give the community notice, like they did with
> their original change.

Depends what community we're talking about.  Seen on the NANOG list:

From: Peter Galbavy <peter.galbavy@...wtion.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 09:47:56 +0100
To: Matt Levine <matt@...iver3.com>, Matt Larson <mlarson@...isign.com>
Cc: nanog@...og.org

Matt Levine wrote:
> So now you care about giving notice the community?  That didn't seem
> high on your priority list when you implemented it.

The "community" I suspect that they are sensitive about is not NANOG etc.
but the advertisers and the shareholders.

Remember, Verisign is the effective monopigly (sic) issuer of certificates
and the monopoly controller of the largest TLD. Their long term financial
and political power is dependent on these - legitimate or corrupt
applications aside. Having any external body (even a semi-legitimate one
like ICANN) interfere will result in some real fallout for the power
mongers...

Peter