From: Simon.Richter at hogyros.de (Simon Richter)
Subject: Verisign fighting back at ICANN

Hi,

> "Currently, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), the
> non-profit organization formed to assume responsibility for the domain name
> system management, requires all domain name holders to provide accurate contact
> information-name, phone number, mailing address, and e-mail address-as part of
> the public WhoIs database, allowing anyone to look up this information as it
> relates to a particular domain name.

German law states that each web site hosted in Germany must carry a
prominent notice with contact information for the person responsible. By
an agreement between the German government and the DE-NIC, this
requirement is met by having the contact info (without phone number)
published in the WHOIS service.

While I'm largely ignorant of American and other laws, I think that
there may be similar regulations requiring everyone publishing
information in print or online to include an imprint, which makes this
action by VeriSign pointless.

Nevertheless, the people that fall for biometric identification info on
ID cards as being more secure will also celebrate VeriSign for this.

   Simon

--
GPG Fingerprint: 040E B5F7 84F1 4FBC CEAD  ADC6 18A0 CC8D 5706 A4B4