From: lcamtuf at ghettot.org (Michal Zalewski)
Subject: Re: [PAPER] Juggling with packets: floating data storage

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Doug Moen wrote:

> A ramdisk.

Quite expensive, though, not to mention the data or its parts are quite
likely to get swapped out at some point. Our calculations indicate that
you can store much more data than Nicholas suggested, although with some
caveats, so paying $40 for a DSL line may be a cheaper alternative to
buying gigabytes of RAM.

There is only a limited deniability, of course, as someone might have been
sniffing on you; thankfully, some of the methods we describe are actually
"send-once, deliver keep alives later on", so it might be easier to deny
the presence of any data.

The purpose of the paper was precisely to provoke a discussion on more
ambitious uses of this media, not to announce there is a new way to store
your 1 TB mp3 collection.

That said, I'd prefer to refrain from getting into a flame war and
defending the paper by all means - you are free to judge it and to
disagree; I would simply prefer if you could give it a chance.

Cheers,