From: ggilliss at netpublishing.com (Gregory A. Gilliss)
Subject: Do you really think CDs will be protected in future?

What I find especially amusing about all this is the fact that people
are overlooking the fundamental flaw in the technology. Fact is, back
when Elvis sang and Sam Phillips recorded it, the artists and producers
had a virtual monopoly on the technology. Who here is old enough to
have owned a monophonic record player (with 16, 33.3, 45, and 78 speeds)?

what the industry has done is that hey have destroyed their own business
model. By selling consumers the technology to reproduce recordings (and
may I add that many of the companies that release the recordings also
manufacture the recording media, so their arguments a la "we're losing
revenue" don't wash because they're making it on the back end), companies
killed their own golden goose. they want it both ways - they control the
artists, the product, *and* the recording media. Of course, when mp3 and
computer disks started coming into the picture, that revenue started to
go elsewhere, and *that* is what pissed off the RIAA. I bet that if the
RIAA owned Western Digital and Maxtor and a couple of other disk drive
manufacturers they wouldn't bitch nearly as loudly.

It's about money, plain and simple.  And no, the genie is *not* going back
into the bottle, copy protection or otherwise.

Face it, RIAA, you screwed yourselves. Come up with a better business model.
And this time, don't make it available to the consumer public. Better yet,
just settle for the trillions that you make off artists' backs from live
shows.

--
Gregory A. Gilliss, CISSP                             Telephone: 1 650 872 2420
Computer Engineering                                   E-mail: greg@...liss.com