From: rms at computerbytesman.com (Richard M. Smith)
Subject: The msvidctl.dll in Windows XP

Hi,

On my Windows XP laptop, I found a large number of ActiveX controls in the
system file msvidctl.dll which are marked safe for scripting.  I've attached
a list of the controls in this DLL.  I'm really curious why this DLL is
installed on my system in the first place since the laptop doesn't have a TV
tuner and why these controls need to be marked safe for scripting.

Also does anyone know if this DLL is installed by default in all/most
Windows XP systems?

My concern with this DLL, is that some number of security holes have slipped
by Microsoft given the large quantity of ActiveX methods and properties that
need to checked out here.

Thanks,
Richard M. Smith
http://www.ComputerBytesMan.com

 1   ATSC Tune Request Location Information
 2   Audio Renderers Collection Class
 3   BDA Data Services Feature Segment
 4   BDA Tuner Device Segment
 5   BDA Tuning Model Analog Radio Tuning Space
 6   BDA Tuning Model Analog TV Tuning Space
 7   BDA Tuning Model ATSC Channel Tune Request
 8   BDA Tuning Model ATSC Component Type Class (Broadcast Substream Type)
 9   BDA Tuning Model ATSC Tuning Space
 10   BDA Tuning Model Channel Tune Request
 11   BDA Tuning Model Component Class(Broadcast Substream)
 12   BDA Tuning Model Component Type Class (Broadcast Substream Type)
 13   BDA Tuning Model DVB Satellite Locator
 14   BDA Tuning Model DVB Terrestrial Locator
 15   BDA Tuning Model DVB Tune Request
 16   BDA Tuning Model DVB Tuning Space
 17   BDA Tuning Model DVB-Satellite Tuning Space
 18   BDA Tuning Model Language Component Type Class (Broadcast Substream
Type)
 19   BDA Tuning Model MPEG2 Component Class (Broadcast Substream)
 20   BDA Tuning Model MPEG2 Component Type Class (Broadcast Substream Type)

 21   BDA Tuning Model MPEG2 Tune Request
 22   BDA Tuning Model MPEG2 Tune Request Factory
 23   Collection of all the available BDA Tuning Model Tuning Space objects
on this system
 24   Collection of all the available BDA Tuning Model Tuning Space objects
on this system
 25   Collection of BDA Tuning Model Component Types(Broadcast Substream
Types)
 26   Conditional Access Feature
 27   Custom Composition Segment from Legacy Analog Tv Tuner Device Segment
to Data Services Feature Segment
 28   Custom Composition Segment from Legacy Analog Tv Tuner Device Segment
to Standard Video Renderer Device Segment
 29   Custom Composition Segment from WebDVD Device Segment to Standard
Video Renderer Device Segment
 30   DVD: Pluggable Protocol
 31   Features Collection Class
 32   File Playback Device Segment
 33   Generic Graph Composition Segment
 34   Input Devices Collection Class
 35   Legacy Analog TV Tuner Device Segment
 36   MS TV ATVEF compliant lid: Protocol Handler
 37   MS TV Video Control
 38   MS Video Control Closed Captioning Feature Segment
 39   MSVidCtl MPEG2 Decoder to Closed Captioning Composition Segment
 40   Output Devices Collection Class
 41   PSFactoryBuffer
 42   Standard Audio Renderer Device Segment
 43   Standard Video Renderer Device Segment
 44   TV: Pluggable Protocol
 45   TVE Receiver Feature Description
 46   Utility Object for Binding Events SubObjects in Script Variables
 47   Utility Object for creating a Property Bag backed by the Registry
 48   Video Renderers Collection Class
 49   WebDVD Adminitration class
 50   WebDVD Device Segment