From: jlevitsk at joshie.com (Joshua Levitsky)
Subject: Hacker suspect says his PC was hijacked

On Oct 12, 2003, at 2:36 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu wrote:

> The average car manufacturer doesn't try as hard as they possibly could
> to make sure you never visit the dealership for regularly scheduled
> maintenance....

I drive a Ford truck. The Ford dealer I bought it from never told me
when to come in to service my brakes. They just tell me to come in
every so often. If you brought your computer in to where you bought it
every 3 months and paid them an hour labor ($89.00 US where I live for
an hour of auto labor) then I suspect your computer would be in pretty
good shape. They would turn on Auto Updating and they would verify that
your Anti Virus updates automatically and that there is no SpyWare on
your system.

Microsoft doesn't stop anyone from bringing machines in to the seller
of Windows based machines. It's really the seller that has failed you
in my scenario. They sell you a computer at CompUSA or wherever, and
they never tell you at the dealer that you need to do certain things.

And even if you are right, and Microsoft somehow works so that you
won't update your machine. If a car dealer sold you a car and said come
back in 100,000 miles for a checkup. Wouldn't it still be you that's a
fool for not doing some research in to what is needed to keep your car
properly maintained? If people took personal responsibility for the
upkeep of their cars, computers, houses, etc... then we would all be in
a better place. Modern society has a sickness. That sickness is
stupidity. Sadly everyone keeps feeding that stupidity so it's only
going to get worse from generation to generation. H.G. Wells wasn't too
far off with his idea of the Eloi. It's makes me a little bit sad that
the world is coming to this.

--
Joshua Levitsky, CISSP, MCSE
System Engineer