From: tss at iki.fi (Timo Sirainen)
Subject: Friendly and secure desktop operating system

For a while I've been wondering if it's possible to create an operating
system that would allow "stupid" users to easily do whatever they want,
but still prevent viruses and other malware from doing any harm.

Today I finally spent a few minutes thinking about it and then wrote
some of the thoughts down:
http://iki.fi/tss/security/friendly-secure-os.html

I'd like to hear comments about it. I hope it's easily enough
understandable, it's really just intended to give some larger ideas and
let you figure out the details.

I have no doubts that someone else hasn't had similiar thoughts before.
If there's any similiar papers or books, I'd like to hear about them.

Also note that I believe it would be possible to implement this in
relatively short time on top of some existing UNIX system and maybe KDE
or GNOME as the user interface. So I wouldn't say it's just a nice
dream.