From: Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net (Robert L. Harris)
Subject: New Microsoft security bulletins today

Yes, I got the same.  Somethings I found though:

It's complaining about "basesrv" a dynamicly linked library.  I rebooted
into Linux and ran some finds and found 3 files:

WINNT/$NtUninstallKB824141$/basesrv.dll
WINNT/ServicePackFiles/i386/basesrv.dll
WINNT/system32/dllcache/BASESRV.DLL

the one in system32/dllcache is dated Aug5, the other two are dated June
19th.  As soon as I finish backing up a couple critical files I'm going
to use the recovery console to copy the $NTUninstall version back to
system32/dllcache and see if that helps.

Thus spake Ben Nelson (lists@...om600.org):

> Well, after installing the patches recommended by Windows Update my
> machine won't boot.  It gives me a stop error complaining about an
> inaccessible boot device.
>
> Ruh-roh Microsoft......
>
> Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Thank god I test all patches on a
> disposable box before applying them elsewhere.
>
> --Ben
>
> Jerry Heidtke wrote:
> >Microsoft just issued 7 new security bulletins: 5 for various Windows
> >version and 2 for Exchange.
> >
> >Six are rated "critical", one is "important". Just to refresh your
> >memory, a critical vulnerability is one that can be exploited remotely
> >and automatically (such as by a worm) and gives complete system control.
> >An important vulnerability is one can be exploited remotely and gives
> >complete system control, but cannot be exploited automatically or
> >without some user action.
> >
> >Get patching.
> >
> >Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments,
> >is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
> >confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use,
> >disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
> >recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all
> >copies of the original message.

> >Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> >Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

:wq!
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:

Life is not a destination, it's a journey.
  Microsoft produces 15 car pileups on the highway.
    Don't stop traffic to stand and gawk at the tragedy.