From: streck at papafloh.de (Florian Streck)
Subject: NASA.GOV SQL Injections

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 11:34:38PM -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On Saturday, October 18, 2003 1:50 PM -0400 Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:24:59 CDT, "Schmehl, Paul L" said:
> >
> >>No offense meant to the fine IT people at NASA, but do you seriously
> >>believe that the one-percenters are securing the network?  As opposed to
> >>say, figuring out how to land a rover on Mars, how to keep astronauts
> >>alive in space, how to overcome the long-term negative effects of zero
> >>gravity, etc., etc.???
> >
> >If the IT people are busy figuring out how to land a rover etc, then:
> >
> >a) What the f--k are the *scientists* doing?
> >b) Who's busy keeping the IT going while the scientists aren't doing the
> >stuff the IT people are doing instead of their jobs?
>
> I continue to be amazed at how misunderstood this was.  The post to which I
> was responding suggested that the "one percenters" were protecting the NASA
> network.  My response was that the one percenters would be the scientists,
> working on space projects, not the IT people protecting the network.  Not
> that NASA wouldn't have good or even great IT people, but geniuses work on
> space physics.  They *don't* do the grunt work of securing networks.

I think there might be a little confusion about those "one percenters".
Whoever said that a "one percenter" in astrophysics is also a "one
percenter" in IT security? Couldn't it e that they have the very best
for both of the jobs without any overlapping?

Florian Streck
--
Today is National Existential Ennui Awareness Day.