From: kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com (Karl DeBisschop)
Subject: Windows covert channel

On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 19:04, James Kelly wrote:
> I seem to remember in the dim reaches of my memory a covert channel in
> the Windows file system where you could paste one file at the end of
> another without it being detectible when you edited the orginal file.
>

> can someone aim me at the right "buzz phrase" that describes this so I
> can Google it further?

Many people have mentioned data streams. But since you said 'end of
file' I wonder if you are referring to the DOS idea that ^Z is an end of
file marker, and many apps won't look beyond it.

For instance, given a file like:

====start====
1
2
3
4
5
.
6
7
8
9
====end====

the command 'type test.txt' provides:

====start====
1
2
3
4
5

If that is indeed what you are thinking of, it only applies to text
files, not to binary files.

--
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop@...rt.infoplease.com>