From: damian at sentex.net (Damian Gerow)
Subject: Is bugtraq even worth it anymore?

Thus spake Jon Hart (warchild@...ofed.org) [28/10/03 14:05]:
> I've also seen issues where posts that are 100% legitimate and on-topic
> are returned to the original poster because, according to the list
> daemon, the moderator failed to act on the post.
>
> Its bad enough when posts are delayed, but its equally bad when
> perfectly legit posts (in response to an on-going thread) are dropped on
> the floor because the moderators of verious securityfocus lists are
> non-existant or too slow to act.

Even though I'm speaking to a pretty biased crowd...

I've found that incidents@...urityfocus.com to be one of the best moderated
lists I've come across.  The moderator is incredibly quick, and any post
that I've had returned has come back with an accurate description as to why
it was returned.

I can't speak for the other SF lists, but incidents@ I find just as useful
today as I did before Symantec took it over.

> Security is a 25 hour a day, 8 day a week business.  Its too bad many of
> the securityfocus lists have deteriorated into a forum that is
> oftentimes many days delayed or driven by corporate bullying and
> brown-nosing.

And I think that's a key term: 'many of the securityfocus lists'.  Bear in
mind that just because bugtraq@ has its issues, its moderator doesn't
moderate every SF list.