From: brett at hutley.net (Brett Hutley)
Subject: Coding securely, was Linux (in)security

Steve Wray wrote:

*snip*
> I think that most programmers approach programming, mentally if not
> practically, from the silicon upwards. They are not thinking so much
> about the logical structure of their programs, but of the effect of
> the program on the hardware that it runs on; they are viewing the
> program/computer something like a 'clockwork' machine and they are
> arranging the cogs and gears and things. This is just me guessing,
> I can't see inside other peoples heads. The approach I saw in
> functional languages was a linguistic approach; the program is
> a set of sentences in a formal language and one can use the tried
> and tested methods of algebra and formal logic to reason about a
> program and (importantly) to *calculate* program components from
> specifications.

These days I try and create programmatic constructs to match the
linguistic way I think about the problem in my head. With OO-style
languages like C++ or Java, some linguistic constructs come out as
objects, others as methods.

At some point in most programs you need to deal with messy stuff like
GUI's/user input or file parsing, etc. Then the bug of programming
smacks into the windscreen of dealing with the hardware/software
environment and you need to cope with all kinds of messy API's and error
conditions. The next thing you know, the users have redefined their
requirements, and all your nice programming abstractions are now
completely obsolete *sigh*. That's one of the benefits of design
patterns - they're a good source of abstractions that are flexible and
long-lived.

I don't necessarily think that secure programming is *hard*, but it does
take quite a bit of knowledge. Buffer overflows are only one issue
against the larger backdrop of input validation. Having a good
understanding of crypto is becoming more and more important... and with
it being able to use a library like openssl. There's priviledge
seperation, and temporary file issues. There's SSPI on Windows and
Kerberos on Unix.... the list goes on and on. Fortunately there are some
good books that have come out in the last few years that provide a good
overview of sources of vulnerabilities and techniques for dealing with
them. I quite like "Secure Programming Cookbook for C and C++" by Matt
Messier and John Viega. These guys have started a website at
http://www.secureprogramming.com/ .

Cheers, Brett
--
Brett Hutley [MAppFin,CISSP,SANS GCIH]