From: full-disclosure at royds.net (Bill Royds)
Subject: Auditing code for security problems

   In an
article(http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/11/SecurityCodeReview/de
fault.aspx) in the Novermber issue of MSDN magazine,  Michael Howard (who
wrote building secure code), gives pointers to finding security defects in
code.
  "Allocating Time and Effort
  I have a ranking system I use to determine how much relative time I need
to spend reviewing the code. The system is based on the damage potential if
a vulnerability is exploited and the potential for attack. The quota system
is based on the following traits:
Does the code run by default?
Does the code run with elevated privileges?
Is the code listening on a network interface?
Is the network interface unauthenticated?
Is the code written in C/C++?
Does the code have a prior history of vulnerability?
Is this component under close scrutiny by security researchers?
Does the code handle sensitive or private data?
Is the code reusable (for example, a DLL, C++ class header, library, or
assembly)?
Based on the threat model, is this component in a high-risk environment or
subject to many high-risk threats?
"