From: jlevitsk at joshie.com (Joshua Levitsky)
Subject: Re: Fw: Red Hat Linux end-of-life update and transition planning

----- Original Message -----
From: <esm@...ic.net>
To: "Joshua Levitsky" <jlevitsk@...hie.com>
Cc: <full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com>
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 2:41 PM

> Were you a customer? Was Red Hat actually deriving any revenue from the
> machines you were running Red Hat Linux on besides a trickle of money
> for Red Hat Network subscriptions? If not, why do you think they should
> be concerned about what you run now?

$300 a year for my up2date subscriptions. So yes. They were on my 5 boxes.
$300/year when all I need is up2date access for patches seems like they
could make a profit off me. Also I do consulting for many companies, and in
every case I would tell them to use up2date.

> And how does this have anything to do with full-disclosure? You might
> want to take discussions like this to an appropriate Red Hat mailing
> list, not a security discussion list.

Because as of December there will be no security fixes for RH 7.x / 8.x so
it is as on topic as some of the other stuff on this list.

-Josh