From: szalkai at 2fkft.com (Akos Szalkai)
Subject: Re: Red Hat Linux end-of-life update and transition planning

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:40:06AM -0600, Schmehl, Paul L wrote:
> Well, yes, you should.  If I've released my book as "open source" under
> the GPL, then by contract I have specifically authorized you to
> repackage it and sell it in any form you want so long as you don't alter
> my work.  Want you cannot do is claim that the original work is yours.
> And you can't prevent anyone else from taking that same book and
> repackaging it and selling it.

And you also have to make the source code for your book available.  This
is a bad example, because the GPL is simply unsuitable for books.
(Even a freely downloadable pdf version cannot be considered source
code.)  And you can prevent me from selling (or redistributing in any
manner) your GPL'd stuff if I do not comply with the GPL.  IANAL, though.

> You just don't understand the GPL.

Hmmm, probably not everybody does.

--
Akos Szalkai <szalkai@...hu>