From: eckman at umn.edu (Brian Eckman)
Subject: Feeding Stray Cats (off-topic, but what isn't
 on this list?)

Anthony Clendenen wrote:
> Delete key works well also...
>
> -Anthony

It sure does. The point was, it saves time to have one person press the
delete key as opposed to thousands of people doing such.

Paul's point about filters is a good one. However, I must say that if I
took the time to determine who has sent or replied to off-topic posts,
I'd bet it would be *everyone* on this list, including myself now,
thanks to this BS. Trying to create a filter that sorted out legitimate
posts based on content as opposed to author seems like it would be a
logistical nightmare.

<perhaps a diamond in the rough called "this reply"?>
The remaining filtering-based solution appears to be a subject-based
one, where only one bullshit message per thread has to come in, then, if
you act *quickly*, you can filter all of the replies to it that keep the
same string in the subject line. I think that might become my approach,
if I decide to remain subscribed. Basically, put that subject in a
procmail filter and leave it there for ~ 30 days. However, that still
leaves searching the archives as a daunting task. And it still requires
individual effort by everyone who wants to sort this crap out, as
opposed to a moderator.
</perhaps a diamond in the rough called "this reply"?>

<raving rant>
If we all would act as professionals and use this list for its intended
purpose, this would be a very beneficial tool. As this list stands now,
it is practically worthless due to bullshit posts and pointless
than (insert whatever you choose here, I'll practice a _little_
restraint) while they are at work.

(And yes, I am cutting my lunch break 15 minutes short to make up for
the time I *wasted* responding to this.
</raving rant>

So, I must say that I agree with the original post. Don't feed the stray
cats, or for that matter, the trolls. The charter says "it is expected
that the list will be largely self-policing". Well, we can all pitch in
by ignoring stuff that belongs on security-basics type lists. Or better
yet, kindly show them to the door, of a more appropriate forum for their
question, that is.

Regards,
Brian (ducking and covering to avoid the crap that will get flung at me
now for stating my opinion)

P.S. Unsubscribing works well also. But what the hell good does it do if
we all unsubscribe?

P.P.S Thanks to "Stephen" and Adam Zabrocki for actually posting
something on topic recently.  There were a *few* others that also did so
last week, but not many, and I don't have time to go back and dig
through everything to name them all.

--
Brian Eckman
Security Analyst

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who
understand binary and those who don't."