From: HarrisMC at health.missouri.edu (Harris, Michael C.)
Subject: pc-anywhere (version 9.2) - telnet kills service

We found this out 3 years ago, when we started doing port scanning to identify rogue servers.  You can also cause this 'denial of service' by doing nmap or nessus scans across machines running PCAnywhere.  One scan to the default control port 5631 is enough to keep the service from responding to further legitimate connection attempts.  A stop and restart of the host service solves the problem but it does upset support staff when you do a scan on Friday and they have to drive in over the weekend because they can't get into machines running PCAW.

here is a response from Symantec... from the way back machine

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/pcanywhere.denial.of.service.html

Mike
Michael C Harris
System Security Analyst - GSEC