From: ge at egotistical.reprehensible.net (Gadi Evron)
Subject: the issue of newbie help on this list [WAS: RE: Feeding Stray Cats]

I don't have much to add beyond what Schmehl, Paul L said - set filters!
Since as far as I understand it, this list is an _open_ discussion
forum. Bitching about it will only cause more "noise" as you call it.
Therefore, by sending this email message I am causing noise myself and
see myself as a bandwidth bogger. But I believe I have a couple of valid
points to add to this discussion.

> This list was designed for those who are on par in the security
industry
> to post and discuss security issues.  This is not a newbie help list.

First of all, as long as it is not in direct confrontation with the list
charter, I see no reason why we shouldn't help people. Obviously, people
do, by replying to queries that you should filter. Security, basically,
is *about* helping and educating people.
That OR saving them against their will, when they cry and make faces
behind your back. :)

People here keep crying about security focus being a corporate monopoly,
start a mailing list for security related assistance and newbie help.
Security focus has one, and it's dead too, I believe.

I doubt we could demand it from the people running this list, they are
already very nice for doing it with FD, but I am sure they will agree to
"advertise it here" when you create it (unless they do run it
themselves, erm, FD-newbies@ ?... :)
OF COURSE - after asking them for permission.

More actions, less talk. Isn't that what your point was?
Or do you want this list to be moderated? To be bugtraq?

On the issue of two lists, one moderated and this one, seems like a
waste to me. You want to, create a moderated version of this list
yourself (with permission, of course).. Or just.. use filters? :)

      Gadi Evron (i.e. ge),
      ge@...uxbox.org.

--------
gevron@...vision.net.il -