From: amebix at comcast.net (Chris)
Subject: Microsoft prepares security assault on Linux

I believe someone else also posted along these lines but it is true MS
compares Linux
to its Windows Operating system when they are two entirely different
things. Linux
is a combination of things, C library, kernel, X, apps, and so on. If we
are going to
compare the vulnerabilities in both then OK, but the linux kernel has
suffered maybe 5 big
exploitable holes, comparable to lets say blaster like holes in MS, in
its existence. The Windows OS
(this includes the kernel, RPC, IE, and every other MS app they dont
give u a choice or not
to install, because it comes bundled with the kernel and everything
else) has suffered hundreds
of these attacks.
If you want to take this to an application level then thats fine. Sure
there are buggy linux apps but
they do not spread malicious crap like sobig. Only the MS windows
architecture is vulnerable to viruses
like sobig. Its in incredibly poor taste to compare windows server 2003
to redhat 6.
If you want to do a fair comparison of Windows vs Linux then lets
compare Debian Woody fresh install to
Windows XP fresh install. And then give the results to your marketing
people to 'freshen' up.
I am not in anyway ANTI-MS, i just want to see fair and balanced
results. I know im preaching
to the choir but its a point that must be made.

chris
chris@...secure.net