From: Steve.Kruse at lakelandgov.net (Kruse, Steve)
Subject: Sidewinder G2

Brent:

Yes, I've read Bruce's feelings about hacker contest's before, and in
principle, I agree it doesn't "prove" a sustained attack by a
determined enemy with enough computing power and dollars (Rubles,
Yen, Euros whatever) can be thwarted.  If someone like a government
entity was hacking away at a firewall, they sure aren't going to
claim the prize; rather they now have the knowledge of how it was
done, use it, and keep quiet about it.  I have the utmost respect for
what Bruce says.

I'll agree "proven" is too strong a word.  But it would give me more
confidence that your average 133t h4x0r isn't going to run willy
nilly through the firewall.  They may find a way AROUND it, or
socially engineer their way in, sure.  Just not THROUGH it.

Score one for Brent.  Proven IS too strong.

Steve Kruse

J. Stephen Kruse, CISSP
Chief Information Security Officer
City of Lakeland, Florida