From: attica at stackheap.org (S . f . Stover)
Subject: os x 10.2.x has 8 character password limit

: Now according to Apple's docs, such as:
:
: http://www.apple.com/macosx/pdfs/MacOSX_for_UNIX_users_TB.pdf
:
: Mac OS X supports PAM.

Looks pretty interesting - at the very least, it states that Darwin is based
on FreeBSD 4.4 - I'll be interested to see if crypt is used in that version.

: According to some other docs you can stipulate the
: password length in Mac OS X 10.2 and up, perhaps they use a default of 8
: characters since "that's how UNIX used to work".

What I've been able to find is that OS X server (10.2) has something called
"password server" which allows you to use larger passwords:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@97.wYU5aMvlmKe.346470@.59966bc9

Haven't found anything refers to OS X client.

--

aka Dolph Longhorn
attica@...ckheap.org

"There is no such thing as right and wrong, there's just popular opinion."
-Jeffrey Goines