From: jkuperus at planet.nl (Jelmer)
Subject: Comments on 5 IE vulnerabilities

> When I attended the NTBugtraq Retreat earlier this year, most of the
> attendees were surprised to hear that I am using Internet Explorer on a
> daily basis, particularly since I should know how vulnerable it can be
> at any given time. I surf with JavaScript and ActiveX enabled, see flash
> movies and play Java games, but despite this I am not vulnerable [0] to
> a single command execution vulnerability or system compromise through
> Internet Explorer.
>
> How, you might ask? Simple, I have locked down the My Computer security
> zone on my installations [1].
>
> Each and every command execution vulnerability in Internet Explorer over
> the last few years have all depended on the functionality of local
> security zones. Whenever you are crafting an exploit, you want to
> navigate a window object to a local security zone, inject some scripting
> or HTML into the window object and subsequently use the features of the
> local security zone to execute your payload. Properly locking down the
> My Computer zone prevents all of these from having any effect.

each and every ?

http://www.securitytracker.com/alerts/2003/Jun/1007072.html

etc.. etc.. etc..

please tell me what registryhacks you applied to stop those ;)
What you are suggesting only stops one very specific class of exploits

- It doesn't prevent buffer / heap / integer overflow attacks

- It doesn't stop stealing of session data, which *IS* a big deal in a world
where more and more applications are getting to be webbased.

- It doesn't protect you against broken certificate handling

Posts like this give people a false sense of security, just run our magical
little program and click your heels twice and all the issues will just fade
a way. Thats not the way it works. At best it adds a layer of security

> However, changing the Internet Explorer security zone settings is not a
> nimble task. Despite being partly split after IE4, the functionality of
> Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer is still very tightly interwoven.
> If you are not careful you WILL cause your system to malfunction and no
> longer open Explorer folders, launch applications or even boot into
> Windows properly. You need to strike a very sensible balance.
>
> During the course of our research, we crafted and tested solutions to
> this problem on tens of thousands of installations and have beta tested
> on thousands of users, and have incorporated the results into our FREE
> constantly updated Proactive Threat Mitigation application that goes by
> the name of Qwik-Fix(r) ( www.pivx.com/qwikfix/ ). Our beta users were
> never affected by Blaster, HTAExploit or MiMail - to name a few.

Seems valueble would you concider writing a whitepaper / howto on the
subject ?

> Now, let's analyze the vulnerabilities Liu Die Yu posted on November
> 25th [2], as there was not much details in the post.
>
> "1stCleanRc" is not a vulnerability of its own, but an example exploit
> detailing how to combine the "MhtRedirParsesLocalFile",
> "BackToFramedJpu" and "MhtRedirLaunchInetExe" vulnerabilities. The same
> goes for "execdror6" which is an example exploit that relies on the
> "LocalZoneInCache" vulnerability, as well as "LocalZoneInCache" which is
> a demonstration of using "threadid10008".
>
> This leaves us with 5 vulnerabilities to analyze:
>
> MhtRedirParsesLocalFile is designed to display and parse a locally
> residing file of any plaintext format in an IFRAME. On most of our
> installations we could only reproduce the display part. Still, being
> able to display a locally residing file in a window object is
> specifically prohibited by IE6 SP1.

I wouldn't classify this one as a vulnerability, it's just a variation o
what mindwarper reported
he reported that setting the moved temprarily header with an Location forces
parsing of the local file

now there are a couple of ways to force a redirect, your what mindwarper
used, your plain vanilla http redirect,  and pointing to a non existant mht
file.
Enumerating all possibilities does not constitute a new vulnerability each
and everytime, its like saying, woohoo
<object type="text/html" data="redirect.asp"></object> also works  :-o ,
well duh offcourse it does, but it remains the same iussue