From: hugh_fraser at dofasco.ca (hugh_fraser@...asco.ca)
Subject: Vulnerability Scans

You've mentioned Nessus for port scans... it can do a lot of
vulnerability checks as well, viewing the system from the outside. In
the Unix realm, have a look at COPS and Tiger for security audits for a
perspective from within the host. They're pretty aggressive at doing
exactly what you're asking for. The advantage to using one of the tools,
of course, is that you benefit from the cumulative knowledge of all the
people who've contributed to them, rather than trying to re-invent the
wheel yourself.

I'd also recommend using a tool like Tripwire or Samhain to do a
baseline of the original system and then include it in subsequent audits
to identify changes.

In the Windows environments, include Microsoft's own Baseline Analyzer.