From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: atrticle in:  Security Wire Perspectives, Vol. 5, NO. 93, December
 19, 2003

Was Shawna McAlearney's assessment of Liu Die Yu's recent findings in M$
products correct in stating his inticement was:

<quote>
Several weeks ago Chinese researcher Liu Die Yu posted several
Internet Explorer flaws to the Full-Disclosure security mailing list.
His reasoning: Microsoft hasn't given him credit for prior
vulnerabilities he reported.
</quote>

Was this correct?  I do not have all the original posts on hand, but, I
do not recall any lament about M$ not giving him the recognition
he felt was deserved for previous findings, though I may well have missed
this.  The reason I ask is, there has been a large shift in the security
"lists/field/top dogs" in trying to avoid casting blame/responsibility at
M$ for the products it has pushed into the market place, perhaps due to the
deep pockets and breadth of market saturation, thus dependance of many
upon the M$ pocketbook to feed the rest of the industry in one fashion or
another.  The critical  articles of a year+ past seem to now, especially
after the @stake recent actions, to be focused these days upon
avoiding mentioning the shortcomings from redmond.  Are others reading the
same these days?

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.