From: ggilliss at netpublishing.com (Gregory A. Gilliss)
Subject: 13 NASA Servers Hacked

I'm not surprised. I have been inside NASA . While the people there stuck me
as both intelligent and conscientious, they are forced (due to lack of funds)
to keep ancient technology online for longer than they ought to, and have
little say in how secure it may be (at least the outward facing stuff -
no comment on their internal network). Since they are administratively kept
from "staying current" with patches etc., this is inevitable. So compromising
13 servers sounds like par for the course.

Pity, since NASA is (mostly) R&D and their outward facing stuff is (mostly)
scientific and educational, so that means that some kids aren't going to get
to see (insert cool space technology here) because some k13313z decided that
r00ting one box wasn't enough.

--
Gregory A. Gilliss, CISSP                              E-mail: greg@...liss.com
Computer Security                             WWW: http://www.gilliss.com/greg/