From: ggilliss at netpublishing.com (Gregory A. Gilliss)
Subject: Removing ShKit Root Kit

Sorry, I really hoped that this thread would die but ...

This is an excellent solution to the "restore" problem, as is Jumpstart
scripts and packages for Slowaris and (perhaps - I haven't tried using it)
portupgrade and some scripts for *BSD). Separating the "system" and the
"data" definitely contributes to making a faster recover. However the data
remains tainted, so the issue of trusting the backup does not go away.

Suppose you use ssh. Suppose you plow your box and reinstall as described.
Do your host keys get replaced. If you formatted the disk they do, but
if you restore them from your data backups are they trusted? Yes, yes,
I know no one would restore host keys from backups, but it make s the point.

Data can be tainted. My earlier point stands also - if you have custom
scripts or even non-executable files, and you restore from your old cron-
tab entries, there might be some non-executable that gets changed to
executable and bammo! you're screwed. So saying that backing up the data
separately from the system is not a panacea because that data may be
compromised. In fact it's probably *more* dangerous because after hours of
restoring a production system under pressure there is a serious temptation
to grab that saved data and throw it back up on the new 'clean' server
to get things running as fast as possible.

While I agree that separating the system and the data for restore purposes
is a good solid plan, I do not agree that such a plan obviates the need to
do forensics on the untrusted data to ensure that you do not repeat the
hack on the restored machine.

--
Gregory A. Gilliss, CISSP                              E-mail: greg@...liss.com
Computer Security                             WWW: http://www.gilliss.com/greg/