From: nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk (Nick FitzGerald)
Subject: Look what's back for New Years

"Gregory A. Gilliss" <ggilliss@...publishing.com> mindlessly
contributed:

> Looks like the bogus Microsoft updates are back - I don't have time to
> do diags on this (probably klez or something - anyone wants a copy email
> me off-list and I'll zip it to you). Headers etc below for your
> amusement.

The odds are extremely high that this is yet another sample of Swen --
a three-and-a-half-month-old virus that all manner of virus scanners
reliably detect and have done for three and a half months...

As receiving an unknown executable via Email is not the stuff of which
security alerts are made (even if the accompanying message tries to
dress the file up as a security patch), it would be advisable for
posters to _NOT_ send such inane and content-free messages to this
list.  If you disagree with this I'll post one such stupid message for
every copy of Swen (and every other self-mailing virus) I receive in my
personal inbox -- that will be 10 to several hundred such "warnings"
per day.  In fact, if Gregory's post was worth making at all, we should
_ALL_ send such warnings...

There are many ways you can scan such content with virus scanners from
commandline versions of most popular scanners that run on most OSes to
web-based and "mail-in" mecanisms at the AV developers.  _If_ you
suspect you may have received a virus (or other malware) in an Email
message at least avail yourself of those services instead of making a
prat of yourself by sending such useless messages to this list.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald