From: als at thangorodrim.de (Alexander Schreiber)
Subject: whois.crsnic.net  hacked?

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 02:24:29PM -0500, Brown, James (Jim) wrote:
> Following up on earlier post.  FreeBSD whois defaults
> to whois.crsnic.net
>
> It appears that whois.crsnic.net is owned:

It appears you have no idea what you are talking about.

> whois -h whois.crsnic.net microsoft.com
>
> Whois Server Version 1.3
>
> Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
> with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
> for detailed information.
>
> MICROSOFT.COM.ZZZ.IS.0WNED.AND.HAX0RED.BY.SUB7.NET
> MICROSOFT.COM.WILL.LIVE.FOREVER.BECOUSE.UNIXSUCKS.COM
> MICROSOFT.COM.WILL.CRASH.IN.6MN.ORG
> MICROSOFT.COM.WILL.BE.SLAPPED.IN.THE.FACE.BY.MY.BLUE.VEINED.SPANNER.NET
> MICROSOFT.COM.WILL.BE.BEATEN.WITH.MY.SPANNER.NET
> MICROSOFT.COM.WAREZ.AT.TOPLIST.GULLI.COM
> MICROSOFT.COM.WANADOODOO.COM

None of which are within the namespace of the 'microsoft.com' domain.

This is normal and expected behaviour. Your whois query searches for the
_substring_ 'microsoft.com' and returns all matches. If I owned the
domain 'example.net' I could set up a record

'thrupoint.net.makes.a.really.bad.example.net'

and a whois query for the substring 'thrupoint.net' would later find it.

It would _not_ be a sign that I somehow managed to hack the whois
servers. It would only show that within the namespace of a domain I own
I can put whatever names I damn well please.

Regards,
      Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison