From: todd at hostopia.com (Todd Burroughs)
Subject: Is the FBI using email Web bugs?

> Can we blow off the FUD on images embedded in HTML mails? Whenever I see
> the term "Web Bug" used I know that I will have to find factual
> information on the subject discussed from another source.

Thank you.

I was wondering what "Web Bug" was, got figuring that it was simply
clicking (or automatically clicking) on a link.

This is not a "bug", if you click on a link, you send certain info
to that site, at the least, your IP address (or your proxys)

Can we drop this now, yes, people can trace poeple who use email clients
which automatically send information to a server.

This is not infosec, it's about educating users aznd admins.  Maybe we
need another list regarding things like this.

Todd Burroughs