From: ka at khidr.net (Ka)
Subject: Professional Groups

Greetings,

> This is off topic [...]

No, it's on topic.

The following is part of our professional toolbox:

	+ social (incl. financial) conditions we are working under
	+ education/tranings/certifications
	+ human (morale) and machine standards

For example:
We don't need automated MS patches, most of the boxes
just need an admin to look after them now and then.
That is all the worm- (and spam-) floods are not a technical
problem, but a social one.

> [...] What we need is a union.

Yes, and a classic union is not enough. A Guild might be a better word.
Something comparable to what the health profession has.

Anyway it cannot be limited to a single country.
Software-production is too fluid, too easily done anywhere.

> Be nice to keep our jobs from going to third world countries where tech
> professionals are even more exploited than here.

I don't agree. They even need the money more than we do.
Not to be international would be a sure killer for such an orginasation.

Minimum wages for international projects would be a better solution IMO.
And better quality standards, which get obeyed everywhere.

> If we are going to change our industry so that we can succeed at
> our jobs, we need a union. Period.

In a way that "union" or "guild" would be the consequential further
development of the Open Source community, I think.

Where to start? How? Any pointers?

Ka