From: corliss at digitalmages.com (Arthur Corliss)
Subject: Re: Full-Disclosure digest, Vol 1 #1371 - 8 msgs

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 full-disclosure-request@...ts.netsys.com wrote:

From: "Daniel Sichel" <daniels@...derosatel.com>
To: <full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 10:31 PM
Subject: [Full-Disclosure] Professional Groups

<snip>

> I am very fortunate that I work in an enlightened company that pays more
> than lip service to standards and security. Management totally backs us
> up on secure and safe computing. No IM, no HTML mail, no user installed
> software. A budget for security and training. It is wonderfule.  It is
> also the first employer in my 15 years of IT experience that follows
> through on these things. But I remember the pain and anguish from
> before. If we are going to change our industry so that we can succeed at
> our jobs, we need a union. Period.
>

> Dan Sichel, Network Engineer
> Ponderosa Telephone Company
> (559) 868-6367

My god, the *last* thing we need is a freaking union.  I work for a telecom as
well, and the sys/net-admins on the Internet side *are* union, while myself,
on the corporate side, am not.  The things I hear about make me eternally
grateful for that fact.

Let's be honest:  unions no longer care about the welfare of their members or
protecting American jobs.  They are self-serving organisms that care only
about growing membership, and that means more cheaper bodies, not less bodies
at higher pay.  Which is why, if you bother to look at your unions' political
activities, you'll find that most of the big ones support foreign worker
programs and H1B visa expansion.  That's the only way they can grow membership
when they've already reached saturation in the local populace.

If you ever find a union that lives up to its mission statement, you let me
know.  Until then, I'll fight tooth and nail to keep unions out of my
profession.

	--Arthur Corliss