From: exibar at thelair.com (Exibar)
Subject: Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, help the cause

> >    So you're telling me that if I don't run Windows and I don't run
Outlook
> > that I'm 100% safe?  Horsesh*t!
>
> You are very much safer.  Our mail server receives on the average day 70
> viruses from cracked Windows machines, and none from cracked Linux
machines.
> We still receive several Nimda hits a day, and none from cracked Linux
> machines.

 But not 100% safe though...  there are Linux viruses,  what about all those
e-mails that
try to steal my SS# and CC#'s?  Education is the key, not the OS that you
run or don't run.

> >  If I install Linux and not Windows XP (for
> > example) I'm safe?  There isn't anything else that I have to do?
>
> A default install of a modern Linux distro includes firewalling rules
> by default, and is fairly safe.

there aren't any holes in that Linux distro?  there sure are, pleanty of
them.  Oh, so
the Personal Firewall is protecting the user... interesting, aren't there
Personal Firewalls
for Windows OS's?  Tons of them....

> >    Why not EDUCATE the end-user on how to use Windows and Outlook
safely?

> Because it is impossible to use Windows safely; the very design of the
> operating system is flawed.  This is not just my opinion; it's also that
> of Bruce Schneier and many other people, some of whom lost their jobs

  it IS possible to use Windows safely, with Education of the user.  Teach
them
how to setup a Personal Firewall, hardware firewall, and Yes, AntiVirus.

> Why?  We have no machines that are susceptible to the viruses that are
> in the wild.  We do, of course, drop .exe, .com, etc attachments on
> our mail server, but that's just to save disk space and stop annoying
> messages from filling our mailboxes.

I don't buy that you block them ONLY to save disk space and stop annoying
messages...
don't buy it at all....

> We have since 1999, and haven't had any problem.  If you don't use
Windows,
> you don't need anti-virus software.

 Ignorance is bliss they say...  If you honestly and truely believe what you
say, more
power to you.  I honestly hope that nothing bad happens to your systems due
to a virus
outbreak that A/V software would have taken care of....

 Ex