From: b29651 at charter.net (brenda)
Subject: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, help the cause

i dont usually comment on this list because of my lack of knowledge but on
this issue i feel qualified to comment since you are commenting on the gray
haired non tech type which is what i am.i am 54 and a grandmother .
i run linux now but when i bought my computer in 1998 i knew absolutely
nothing about viruses,worms,or trojans.when i switched to linux 2  1/2 years
ago it was after careful research on it and lots of reading.my incentive was
because i was tired of reformat C because of viruses.having AV did me no good
even updating weekly.sure linux in a default install can start some services
that make you insecure but if a person is worried at all they CAN learn about
how to become just a little more secure.am i vulnerable?
sure i am because i dont have the tech knowledge that others have but i do
have the desire to learn which is why i join lists such as this.i do have a
firewall going which has worked very good because it is easy to close ports
and permission specific IP addresses as needed.i update my machine as soon as
alerts are posted and a fix is ready.
having a firewall day sounds like a good idea to me.you can never educate
people enough because us older folks are joining the online community more
and more everyday.
br3n