From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, help
 the cause

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, William Warren wrote:

> jan.muenther@...ns.com wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >Yeah, I agree, but that was also a pretty steep learning curve and a lesson
> >that e.g. Redhat had to learn the hard way. I believe in 2001 Redhat 6.2 had
> >more severe security alerts that w2k.
> >
> What many tend to forget because MS and others have blinded them to the
> fact is that RH may have had more security alerts but outside of the
> kernel RH is not linux..the linux operating system is the
> kernel..everything else is third party...MS by their own adminission has
> windows tied into everything in the instlalation(IE, WMP..etc etc) and a
> flaw in one of these programs is a flaw in the entire system.  BIG
> difference in architecture big difference in overall security...you
> cannot compare windows to a linux distro becuase the distro itself IS
> not linux..:)
>
> <snip>

And yet, there's not much one ca do with a kernel alone.  Of course redhat
tends to be one of the "kitchen sink" distros of linux.  And if you are in
for a test of your skills, try replacing say apache with your own build on
a redhat system, and learn the issues of dependcany hell that is the
redhat RPM structure.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.