From: nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk (Nick FitzGerald)
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [TH-research] Modified Bagle]

Gadi Evron <ge@...tistical.reprehensible.net> wrote:

> Hi, here's an heads-up from Daniel Otis Vigil on TH-Research (The Trojan
> Horses Research Mailing List) about a modified Bagle worm, a lot sooner
> than expected by most experts, but not too surprising.

Well, I wouldn't say that it was expected or unexpected...

"Real experts" in this industry take with a grain of salt such vapid
prognostications as the inexperienced, outright dim and excessively
PR-hungry are prone to make about such things -- "because the virus has
a built-in drop-dead date of 28 January, we expect a new variant to be
released around that date".  Yeah, right, like we have deep
psychological insight into the mind/s of the person/s responsible for
these things...

Evron's "problem" here is that he believes his own hype.  A recently
self-appointed malware expert, he has been hyping himself up through
his virus-exchange mailing list and posting the work of others from
that list to other security lists such as Bugtraq and Full-Disclosure.
Unfortunately for Evron, he took Otis-Vigil's recent, but seriously
misguided post to his own mailing list at face value and rushed off to
the world (well, Full-Disclosure, Bugtraq, incidents@sf and focus-virus
that I know of) to further his dick-waving "look how I/we are saving
the world" campaign.  It seems that Evron believes that to be seen to
be on top of things, you have to be seen to be the first with
significant alerts.  This syndrome is not uncommon -- another group of
folk concerned about malware issues, but not comprised of those who "do
anti-malware" for a living is often joked to have "discovered twenty of
the last ten major outbreaks".  If Evron is even half as smart as he
thinks he is, he will learn even more from his latest misjudged public
outburst than his next potential employer already has...

Anyway, Otis-Vigil's message to Evron's list was a tad short of clue.
The modified .EXE Otis-Vigil received simply had a few PE header fields
altered (relative to a "normal" Bagle sample).  While such trivial file-
tweaking will still "beat" a few woefully clueless scanners (perhaps
Otis-Vigil's own "The Cleaner"?), it should not get past any half
decent ones as it is widely agreed within the AV research community
that such alterations alone are insufficient to warrant a new variant
ascription.  In short, the _code_ has not changed so it is not a new
variant even though the carrier file is not identical to the "original"
-- something you may expect of a simple monolithic replicator.  This is
a very old and well-known issue in the AV research world, again perhaps
suggesting something about the level of knowledge and expertise of
those who would rush to yell "the sky is falling... Again!".

Seizing on what Evron took to be Otis-Vigil's "expert opinion"
(remember, Evron believes his own hype and his mailing list is reputed
to be comprised of "malware experts"), and before others on the list
had a chance to post amplifications and corrections to Otis-Vigil's
post, Evron was out touting his "watch us save the world" efforts.  (Of
course, he did not have any time to lose -- who knew how soon it would
be before the PR companies retained by NAI or Symantec or any of the
other serious security companies would have a press release out...)

> More information will be posted if it will be determined that this is a
> new outbreak situation.

And what are the chances you'll now post an apology for being a chronic
show-off?

> As always, this message is forwarded under the guidelines as they are
> specified in the TH-Research FAQ.

Ahhh yes, the "Evron can do anything with your messages but you had
better not mention anything you learned on the list anywhere else"
clause.  Most professional, I must say...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald