From: chows at ozemail.com.au (Gregh)
Subject: Anti-MS drivel

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cael Abal" <lists@...you.com>
To: <full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com>
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 1:27 AM

> If I understand him correctly, Tobias is simply suggesting that users
> ought not be held accountable for using faulty software.  Using a

That IS and WAS the point. Perhaps you ought to read what I was saying. To
boil it all down, I was saying "If the user is such an idiot as to get on to
the net without understanding what they can be open to and doing something
about it in the first place, it isnt the fault of the bank if their account
was emptied because they installed a keylogger on their machine.". Such
things arent the fault of the OS but the fault of the user entirely. In this
case, the bank did nothing wrong, the OS wasnt to blame, the ISP had no
fault attributable to them either. You cant blame MS, the ISP or anyone else
if you decide to go web banking without a decent AV and/or firewall prog. If
the user doesnt even know what all that means, then they should have the
sense to seek out someone who does.

> debatable but reasonable definition of faulty software, as he does, it's
> really a fairly robust and straightforward argument.

It's also classically wrong in a lot of users' cases. In most cases it isnt
the OS to blame. Most users who are ripped off by Dumpers or Keyloggers do
so because they get on the net without a clue and without a thought. Those
people often then blame the corporate entity which did nothing wrong. It is
their own fault.

Greg.